Monday, 9 May 2011

This is my previous artist statement, today I'm spending the day updating my creative cv, portfolio, piece statement and an updated artist statement relating to my current fmp.

Artist statement
“For our House is our corner of the world. As has often been said, it is our first universe, a real cosmos in every sense of the world.” Gaston Bachelard, the Poetics of Space. 1958
Relationships interest me, what goes on behind the surface.  The little things in life that we try to ignore and forget but never really let go. The importance of the concept of ‘home.’ Belonging somewhere that when things go wrong we can escape and feel safe. And what happens when you don’t have that ‘home’ you wish for.
The notion of picking up all your things and familiarity constantly, starting somewhere afresh not knowing whether your coming or going. Whether to let down your guard or fit in.
The way we remember our past and occurrences that impact the way we see ourselves, situations and the people around us.
Within the concept of ‘home’ I have found myself becoming very interested in tattoos, a way of marking ourselves with memories, beliefs or what lifestyle we lead. In history individuals have adorned their bodies with tattoos to illustrate their tribes or what crimes they have committed.  Within this context tattoos can employ an approach of belonging. Our bodies can become our own portable history 



This is my first go at flash animation which this artist statement related to. My new animation is going to be more complex and glitch free(hopefully)! Instead of using an existing song (the above music comes in at the ladybird) I'm going to be doing some recording in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment